Monday, July 13, 2009

if you can call it surviving....

Let me see, where have we left off in the drama...oh yes, dog pee soaked carpets. I know you are all sitting on pins and why don't I just tell the whole awful story...hee hee. Basically, after two complete carpet cleanings, my hubs spent time here on his hands and knees trying to "sniff" out the worst areas. He determined Lillian's room to be the worst. Well, let's see, I think we had like five days to be out of our old house by this point. It took us a whole day to rip up carpet and pull out carpet staples and tack strip. I cleaned the floor on my hands and knees with vinegar and a scrub brush. (so not work for fat girls). We both spent time crying over the entire situation. Overwhelmed comes to mind. I knew it was bad when he cried bc the man is not a crier. Anyway, thank the Lord our dear friend Marcia went out and purchased the rental floor sander/sand pads/make the floor shiny stuff, bc the cheaper route was to finish the hardwood than to buy new carpet. It took Matt eight hours to sand it down bc it had previously been painted. He and our friend Oscar spent the next entire day putting on the floor stuff and hand sanding between the coats that were drying, as is the process of refinishing. That floor looks marvelous now and the smell is barely there. We intend to do the entire house, but that will take time. This, by far, has been the hardest move we've ever made. We were blessed to have helping hands as far as box packing/ furniture moving for about 6 hours but that is not much when you are only running one pickup truck and a minivan. To top it off, we worked like dogs at the old house to clean it only to have the landlords be complete jerks and who knows possibly try to sue us even though they refused to give us back any of our 1000.00 deposit (which they wrote into the contract and didn't tell us until the day we signed it) To say the least it has not been easy. Madeline had another repeat infection of MRSA which required a doctor's visit in the middle of all this. Her glasses have been broken beyond repair and insurance will not kick in until July 28, not a huge deal, but does tend to make a mother feel pretty worthless...(once again, title still in my name) Finances have been ridiculously tight as we had to come up with a deposit here even after we were told we didn't need one. You know, one can only miss so much work before it catches up and it has caught us. All this unexpected stuff required Matt to take off more work than orginally planned. Oh, and the center island in the current had a top when I saw the house and when we moved in the top was gone, so that is something we are trying to remedy as well. Being a person who cooks for her family and has little counter space, a center island would be very useful IF IT HAD THE TOP. Does boggle the mind. I know I am probably making little sense, but it is late and I'm not sleeping very well.

We were given a bigger chest freezer which is something I had been in prayer about and despite all the obstacles of moving I know we are fortunate to have each other and the Lord will provide. It is difficult not to be discourage when you feel like you are hanging out in left field by yourself. I hate using the word depression, but I feel like it is something I am fighting every day to not be. A verse comes to mind about His strenght increasing in my weakness....I know that is true and it is the only thing that is carrying me. If it ever comes to your mind to wonder "how does she do it?" I don't. Plain and simple, I could not without the Lord. I just have to keep reminding myself of that and not be pulled down.

Me and the girls were able to spend Friday evening at my friend Marcia's house swimming in the lake and having a hot dog dinner. It was a good time and nice to finally relax a little. I was able to attend a 50th wedding anniversary celebration for some dear friends this weekend and able to catch up with some church family at the same time. It was bittersweet. The couple being honored are suffering a difficult situation as she has been stricken with ALS and it is rapidly taking it's toll on her body. She did seem to be glowing that day though. They have become such dear friends to us and it is difficult to watch unfold. I'm glad she was able to be there and celebrate with so many friends and family.

As difficult as things sometimes seem, I'm so thankful for your prayers and support and the blessings we receive so unexpectedly.


The VW's said...

I'm so sorry that you are going through such a difficult and emotional time! I'll be praying for you! Hang in there!

Great hearing from you again! Hope your days get brighter very soon! HUGS!!!

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh Michelle, I am so sorry all of this has happened and is still happening. Not a fun way to spend your summer. Just know I am constantly praying for you.


Sherry C said...

oh wow sounds like many very long days. Glad to hear all your hard work paid off and the wood floor you finished looks great. I hope you get that top for your island very soon. It seems like that is something that would come with a house. Try to get some rest and relaxation in very soon you deserve it.

scrappy quilter said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. Hugs..

W McCallum said...

I haven't been able to get on this site on my laptop. I kept getting an "Internet Explorer not responding" message... Anyway, using a different computer to see how you all doing.

You definitely having a tough time. The Lord is up to something with you guys however - not sure what but His hand is upon you.

The wooden floors are a good idea. I like wood. I have wood in my house too. It is easier to clean than carpet (and doesn't hold onto house smells which is a plus - especially if you have a dog like me).

Keep us posted how things are and I will try and borrow this computer again to view this particular site.

Wendy xx